Friday, October 17, 2008

Pictures Please

Having a baby makes you question everything you ever did with your free time and everything you thought defined you. What defines you? It's so common for people to run after a dream that they fantasized about when they were wee ones and never give it a second thought, then ten years into their courier determine they hate their job. Another half of the population follow the crowds to college and change their major four times, endlessly deciding on some major that they could never support a family with. The heated debate is which is good and right? Do you fill your time with something you love and let your family live in rags and scrape by? Or, do you grit your teeth through a painful number of years so your family is provided for in a comfortable way, but your own self worth and sanity is in question?
I have a passion for sewing. I am really not good at the details if you look really close, but I love to create with my hands. I love the look on someone's face when I put hours into a beautiful baby blanket and they accept it almost knowing what I went through to give it to them. This is one of my simple joys in life. So, the question becomes, do I exploit these talents and sell myself to make a quick buck? Then does this wonderful hobby not become a chore?
I think that one of the first ways to define who you are, is to separate work from play. I think your work could very well be something you love to do. The thing we love to do most should be our "play", should it not? If our profession is our one true passion, where is our outlet? How do we not go mad? I would go mad if I sewed baby quilts all day long till my fingers were raw.
My play is sewing. My work is my work.
Having a child makes you think about your priorities. It makes you separate your tasks into priorities. It makes you take every minute you have to yourself as the only minute that ever was. Time becomes a rarity. I have come to cherish every minute whether it is spent sewing, working, or with my son.

No comments: